Sunday, May 25, 2008

Changes

I remember hearing a line from a movie that went something like this "Somethings change; somethings never change.", and as I have now reached the 1/4 mark of my stay hear in Korea I find that saying truer and truer. Sometimes the changes are easy to see, others aren't so easy to spot, some of the changes and again others not.
I suppose the first change is the most noticeable, and that would be my appearance. Sure, I cut my hair which is a big change for me but others aren't quite as spectacularly noticeable, at least for me. The biggest physical change I've noticed is my arms. Kumdo has been subtle changing my arms. My forearms are noticeably more muscled as are my biceps and triceps. I've also managed to put a dent into my weight. I had been down 15 pounds at one point but I gained back five of that, which I will attribute to added muscle mass (I hope, lol)
On the subject of Kumdo, the master thinks I'll be ready for the armor next month, which I'm looking forward too. I've noticed my strikes have become a lot faster and more accurate, and my footwork is improving. Still, it's nice to have outside confirmation. I'm looking forward to actually being able to spar. I feel like a paper tiger as I've only been learning offense, but now I'll actually be able to start learning defense. My hands and feet are starting to toughen up too. They still get blisters, but they are really starting to get resistant to the beatings they take each week.
As for school, it still a mix of bad and good days. I have a class where all the parents are coming in next week so Ive got to put on a show with my class, but that's not until Wednesday, and truth be told, I'm more than a little nervous. Last Friday the kids went on their Spring picnic field trip. It was originally scheduled to be at Seoul Grand Park (which has a zoo and all kinds of stuff), but due to some problems in Seoul which I won't go into it was changed to Lotte World, the world's largest indoor theme park. It's ranked 7th in the world in terms of attendance. Since I and the other teachers were with the kids we didn't get to do much, especially considering the limited time we had. But we all agreed that we're gonna go back next month.

W ell I suppose that's a good length for this post for now, but I'll keep the promise I made a few weeks ago (I'm sorry, I've been busy, well sort of....) and post the picture of myself, enjoy!

1 comment:

Lori Pierson/East Bethel said...

Shad,
Looking good. It was nice to see a picture of you.
Sounds like you are busy with school activities & Kumdo. Good luck with moving to the next level.
Hope the bump results are good.
Keep up the posts. Like to read them.